6.24.2011

Is it "ART"?

One of my favorite quotes, discovered while I was trying (at the age of 50) to learn to be a Graphic Designer, sums up my art experiences so well! It goes like this:

"And the first rude sketch that the world had seen was joy to his mighty heart, till the Devil whispered behind the leaves "It's pretty, but is it Art?" - Rudyard Kipling

Well, in spite of that rude whisper, I survived school, got my degree, and have worked steadily ever since. Then, entirely by accident, I discovered Digital Art. The first picture was of my grandson, exposure was poor, his shirt was dirty, but it was a cute photo.

So, I started trying to clean it up in Photoshop, playing with filters and layers, and eventually wound up with this...

And I was hooked!!! If you look at my portfolio or check out my Facebook Fan Page, you'll see I have done digital paintings that range from portraits to boats to lighthouses - and just about everything in between! I love the challenge of taking a photo to another level, finding something extra in it. I make no claim to being a photographer, but my camera helps me capture what my mind sees, at least in the beginning. A beautiful rose will sometimes just be adequate as a photo, but by using my imagination and my creative tools (which just happen to be a computer, tablet and pen) it can be transformed into an image that will take your breathe away.
So, what do you think? Is it ART?


No comments: