9.22.2010

Bird Feeder Potential Source of Great Photos...

Last weekend I put up a bird feeder near the deck where I sit and have my morning coffee. Thought I might be able to get some nice bird photos. After a couple days they began to come around. Yes! Beautiful birds would soon be flocking to my yard...and then I heard the news this morning:

"MIDDLEBURG, Fla. -- Several residents in the Middleburg area have reported seeing a black bear, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC).

The FWC said a 150-pound female bear was spotted near Live Oak Lane June 25, and near Pinto Lane June 7. Both are near Jennings State Forest."



The maps show how close I live to Jennings State Forest. And the connection to the bird feeder?

“If Middleburg residents will temporarily remove their bird feeders, we are hoping the bear will move on,” said Allan Hallman, FWC wildlife biologist. “Three weeks ago, her activities resulted in some property damage. She destroyed several feeders, looking for the high-calorie bird seed.”

So, I guess I won't be posting pictures of lovebugs, frogs or lizards in the future... FWC Says be ‘Bear Aware’

(Story and bear photo courtesy of First Coast News, Jacksonville, FL.)

No comments: